I love scones! There one of my favorite cakes and I cant believe I haven't made them before! I made them really small like the recipe says to. There cute and lovely for summer tea parties in the park but not for a cake lover, I must of eaten at least 6 to get my fill!! So I would recommend instead of using a small cookie cutter use the rim of a mug or glass beaker. I have a much better Scone recipe than this which I'll be posting soon. Huge chunky scones! Nom nom nom!!
225g/8oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
25g/1oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz milk
1 free-range egg, beaten
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet (I just used baking paper)
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter (or a mug) to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter and good jam and maybe some clotted cream.